Travelers looking to make a trip to Canada or Mexico will have to wait another 30 days as the Department of Homeland Security extended border closures to curb COVID-19 infections.
Chad Wolf, the acting Secretary of Homeland Security, announced Tuesday that the U.S.-Canada and U.S.-Mexico land border closure has been extended until June 22.
“The President has made it clear that we must continue to keep legitimate, commercial trade flowing while limiting those seeking to enter our country for non-essential purposes,” Wolf wrote in a statement. “Non-essential travel will not be permitted until this administration is convinced that doing so is safe and secure.”
He continued: “We have been in contact with our Canadian and Mexican counterparts and they also agree that extending these restrictions is prudent at this time. We appreciate our partnership with Mexico and Canada in ensuring that North America is working together to combat the ongoing global pandemic.”
Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau held a press conference, saying the extension of the closure was a mutual agreement between the United States and Canada.
“It was the right thing to further extend by 30 days our closure of the Canada-U.S. border to travelers other than essential services and goods, but we will continue to watch carefully what’s happening elsewhere in the world and around us as we make decisions on next steps,” Trudeau said Tuesday.
During the French portion of his address, he noted there had been a push from Canada’s provinces to keep the restrictions intact for now because the border is a place of “vulnerability,” according to the Canadian Broadcasting Company’s interpreter.
The U.S. and Canada first limited travel in March for a period of 30 days after President Donald Trump and Trudeau agreed to close the border to help contain the spread of coronavirus. The State Department said that the order “does not apply to air, rail, or sea travel at this time, but does apply to commuter rail and ferry travel.”